NLIS Tags for the Northern Territory (NT)

Order NLIS Tags for Properties in the NT

You can order your tags without any state restrictions.

If your property is located in the Northern Territory (NT), you can conveniently order NLIS approved ear tags directly from our website.

NLIS Tags for Livestock (Cattle, Buffalo, Sheep, Goats, Pigs)

Livestock movement and identification in the Northern Territory (NT) is regulated by the Department of Primary Industry and Resources.

In the NT, all cattle and buffalo must have an approved NLIS device. Cattle are identified with approved NLIS Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) attached to the right ear, or rumen bolus/ matching ear tag combination.

Sheep and goats must have an approved tag attached to their right ear before they are moved off a property regardless of where they are going. Use correctly coloured NLIS tags that correspond to the year in which the lamb or kid is born as this allows for visual age identification at a distance and can help with tracing. Learn more on our Year Colours & Letters page.

For more information about NLIS requirements for cattle, buffalo, sheep, goats and pigs in the NT, including documents and procedures, visit the Northern Territory Department of Primary Industry & Fisheries (DPIF) website. Other helpful links relating to NLIS cattle are listed below:

Useful Information

Our NLIS Products

We offer a full range of NLIS approved products from your favourite suppliers!

With Yolla Ear Tags, there's no need to look anywhere else for your NLIS tags. We offer a full range of NLIS-approved tags and accessories from your favourite suppliers all in one place. We let you customise and visualise your NLIS tags before you order, so you can buy with confidence.

Wholly owned and operated by farmers like you, we strive to bring you the best products at the best prices. With competitive pricing and flat rate shipping, you can rest easy knowing you're getting the best value.

If we don’t stock the product you want, there’s a fair chance we can get it for you. Simply contact our team for help.


Have a question about NLIS? We've put together some of the most frequently asked questions about NLIS below:

What is the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS)?

The National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) is Australia's system for the identification and traceability of cattle, sheep and goats.

All animals are identified with an accredited NLIS tag or device from their property (PIC) of birth. As animals are bought, sold and moved along the supply chain, each movement is recorded centrally on the NLIS database. Using this information, the NLIS is able to provide a life history of an animal's movements.

How Does the NLIS Work?

The NLIS combines three elements to enable the lifetime traceability of animals:

1. All livestock are identified by a visual or electronic ear tag/device. 

2. All physical locations are identified by means of a Property Identification Code (PIC).

3. All livestock location data and movements are recorded in a central database.

What Do I Need for the NLIS?

1. Property Identification Code (PIC)

A Property Identification Code (PIC) is an eight-character code allocated by the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) or an equivalent authority in each state or territory to identify a livestock-producing property. Producers must have a PIC to move livestock on and off a property.

2. Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) National Vendor Declaration (NVD)

Each time livestock are moved off a PIC they must be accompanied by some form of movement documentation. For LPA accredited PICs, this must be an LPA NVD.  LPA NVDs guarantee that on-farm practices meet LPA requirements, and ultimately customer expectations.

3. Record Keeping

Australia’s on-farm assurance and traceability systems underpin our reputation for producing safe, high quality livestock products for both domestic and export markets. The effectiveness of these systems depends on compliance and accurate record keeping.

Do Hobby Farmers Need to Register for NLIS?

Yes, hobby farmers must register livestock movements on the NLIS database, regardless of the property size or the number of animals on the property.

What is a Property Identification Code (PIC)?

A Property Identification Code (PIC) is an eight-character code allocated by the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) or an equivalent authority in each state or territory to identify a livestock-producing property. Producers must have a PIC to move livestock on and off a property – it forms the basis of Australia’s food safety and traceability programs.  

There are differences between states and territories in how PICs are managed.  In some states, amalgamation of separate PICs owned by the same entity, into a single PIC, is allowed.  In other states, one property can be issued multiple PICs if there are livestock owned by multiple entities on the property.  It is important to understand the requirements for your state or territory.

How Do I Obtain a PIC?

PICs are issued by state and territory departments to identify parcels of land used for agricultural purposes. To obtain a PIC, contact the relevant authority in your state or territory.

To learn more about PICs and to check to confirm that your PIC is accredited, you can visit the NLIS website.

What is a National Vendor Declaration (NVD)?

The Livestock Production Assurance NVD is a food safety document that includes questions regarding livestock management practices and livestock history.

As a signed declaration that accompanies livestock along the supply chain, NVDs provide assurance from the producer through to the processor that the meat will be safe to eat and is ethically produced.

You must be LPA accredited to access LPA NVDs. When you tick the boxes and sign your LPA NVD, you are declaring your on-farm practices meet LPA requirements, and ultimately customer expectations.

Your declaration must be backed up by accurate farm records. This is your pledge that the meat from your farm has been produced safely, ethically and meets biosecurity requirements – it means you stand by what you sell.

For the current version of the LPA NVD, and to learn more about electronic eNDV system, visit the NLIS website.

How Do I Keep Good Records for LPA?

Good records and systems are the foundation of the integrity system.

When you tick the box on your LPA NVD, you are guaranteeing your on-farm practices meet LPA requirements, and ultimately customer expectations. Your tick must be backed up by accurate farm records.

When it comes to keeping good records for LPA, there is no perfect formula; however, the LPA record keeping templates on the NLIS site are used by many producers and include all details that must be recorded.

Remember, that should you be required to participate in an LPA audit, your LPA records will be reviewed by an auditor, so it’s important to make sure they are accurate and up to date.

The timeframe for retaining records varies between LPA and state and territory requirements. 

To learn more about necessary record keeping and to download the templates required to maintain your LPA records, visit the NLIS site.

When Should I Contact My State or Territory Authority About NLIS?

Your local state or territory authority can help you with the following:

  • PIC registration
  • Ordering NLIS devices
  • Livestock movement requirements
  • NLIS compliance, including timeframes for completing transfers on the database
  • Checking chemical residue history when purchasing/leasing or agisting property.

To report stolen livestock, you should contact your local police.

Still Have Questions About the NLIS Tag Requirements in the Northern Territory?

Feel free to contact our team for further assistance.

Contact Us